Tuesday, March 10, 2009

10th March 2009-Thoughts over the weekend

I had an eventful weekend until I couldn't find time to update my blog.

Change
It was definitely one of the highlight of the weekend. Han & I met a friend after lunch and we were talking about "life". We were talking about how we see things differently as we grow.

It is true that we have all changed. It is also true that we will grow up to accept the changes that we have made. 

Some people choose not to grow up and when we have, they would say that we have "changed" and start saying how we have changed and all.

Change is not necessary a bad thing. If we have changed to become a better person, a wiser person.. why not?

I've changed and I admit that I wasn't very much a fan of change when I was younger. 

Something happened between a close friend & I when we were in University. We grew apart and I couldn't accept how much things have changed because she is my closest friend. As we were pursuing our studies separately, I soon became more adaptable to change. I'm proud to say we are now more acceptable of each others' opinion & our relationship is closer than before.

Now, when I see someone changing, I would acknowledge it and learn to accept that he/she has changed. If it's not a bad change, why not learn to love that "new person". Of course, if you know that the change is making the person a worse person, then it's good to voice out. At least you have said your opinion. They have to take control of their own life and make their own choices.

Ask and you will receive
My husband was the one who taught me this. Before I knew him, I was always shy to ask and just accept things as it is.(I still do but not all the time.) He is the opposite. He will always be curious and ask whenever he don't know the answer.

When I became a Catholic, one of the moments that I remember is during one of the sermons our Father said "Ask and you will receive". He meant, pray and you will be blessed.

I believe that and I apply that to my daily life. I pray every day that my dad will receive the treatment that he believes in. It doesn't matter what treatment, as long as it is a treatment that my dad is confident in.

In my opinion, a cancer patient should receive the treatment that he/she believes in. Even if he/she believes in just praying that would help in curing this disease, so be it. If a cancer patient is not confident in the treatment that he/she is about to receive, he/she may not survive. (If my mum reads this, she would beg to differ.)

Over the weekend, I found out that my prayers were answered. Thanks to my dad's treasure hunt mates. You guys are amazing and I would like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful gift. My dad is truly blessed to have such beautiful friends. I will pray for all of you and your loved ones to be blessed with gifts that would bring you joy, love & peace.

My grandma (seated next to my dad), my aunt & grand aunts came up from Kluang to visit my dad. On the right of my dad are my mum's friends. Her bestfriend (also our family optician) and her husband.

A little note from the treasure hunters.


MORE PIRATES IN THE HOUSE! 
haha..just kidding. These are the treasure hunters that came over to visit last Saturday.(Photo taken by VK. So he's not inside. Thanks VK!) Some of them I haven't really spoke to for more than 10 years. (And you guessed it right, first reaction "WAH! So big already ar?" hahaha..) My dad said they skipped lunch just to hang around and chat. :) Thanks everyone!

Family vs Career vs Life
My husband and I have been trying to sort this out. We are trying to strike a balance between our career, our time with our family (both sides), our life together & our time alone with/without our friends.

We are working hard to find that balance. We have yet to find the perfect "mix" but we are currently making sure to have a meal with our parents over the weekend. We try to have a cup of coffee/tea as a "young married couple", just the two of us, sitting down and talk. (We like to do this even before we were married, we find ourselves falling in love with each other again.) We would encourage each other to hang out with our own friends. However, since we only meet during weekends, we would prefer to have the weekends away from friends but we know that it's unhealthy not to be hanging out with friends. So we made it a point to hang out with our own friends, once in a while. Have some "seperated" time. Like they say.. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

My dad is currently guiding Han and teaching him some skills to help him in his career and life.(I've mentioned that it is my dad's wish to pass on skills to Han, my sister & I) 

Han told me something that meant a lot to me. He said "Please tell dad that I need him. I don't want him to leave."

It touched me that my dad receives love from his son-in-law. When Han & I became a couple, I was afraid that my dad would not approve of him.(Well, my dad does have very high standard when it comes to accepting someone to take care of his daughter.) My dad's approval meant a lot to me and I'm just so thankful to have both of the man that I truly love getting along together and loving each other. God must have known that they were meant to meet each other too. :)

Life is tough. My mum would always say "If there is no stress in life then you are dead." It's just a matter of how we handle our stress and how we cope with the changes & happenings in life.

Here's a passage that I would always have in mind whenever I find myself thinking about the past or worrying too much about the future.
One day, I was regretting the past.
Suddenly I heard God telling me,
"My name is I Am."

If you live in the past, I am not there.
Because my name is not I was.

If you live in the future, I am not there,
Because my name is not I will be.

If you live in the present, I am here.
Because my name is I Am.

Live everyday without holding on to the past and without worrying about the future. You'll find yourself living life to the fullest even though it's tough.

My dad is currently living in the present. He started his alternative treatment yesterday and I was very relieved that he got my mum's approval to go for it. Perhaps too relieved that I've caught the flu bug. (YIKES!) 
It was very nice to see my dad smiling while receiving the treatment. Han also came along to support him and he even suggested that my dad switch the treatments to weekends so that we can accompany him. Well, since we started the treatment on Monday, it will just be Mondays then.

My dad made a progress today, he gained some weight. Not a lot but it's still good for him. I know he will work harder to gain weight. As long as he can eat, he would. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin